Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Movie I Watched by Accident

 Have you ever seen the movie, 'Little Miss Sunshine'?

I can't say I recommend it for everyone. I saw the TV version of it a few years ago, when I was sitting with a non-combative patient and I was actually able to watch the whole thing. Apparently it has a lot of curse words because it seemed like (at a few parts of the movie at least) every other word was bleeped out. (That was pretty annoying).

I wouldn't want to watch it casually. It's one of those deep-thinking movies and it has a few moments that are so memorable and iconic, they have stuck with me.

 Its all about this really messed up family going on a road trip and getting closer together.

The thing that made it cool for me was the brother and sister relationship. The brother realizes how screwed up his family is and wants out. His goal is to become a Air Force pilot and, in some kind of a warped protest, he does not speak at all for the first half of the movie. I found it kind of funny how he didn't need to talk to convey emotion and mood, and even to communicate.

The sister (little miss sunshine) is busy just being the best-est, happiest little girl she can possibly be. She is overweight and not exceptionally attractive, but her optimism and winning personality have given her a spot on in a beauty contest...in California. So the whole family; Mom, Dad, Post-suicidal Uncle, and Drug-addict Grandpa all load up in the family van and head out.

I don't know what it is about road trip stories, but I like them :-D

There's this part in the movie where the boy and his sister are playing with those little dot cards that test for color blindness and the brother can't see the numbers.
(It's the number seven, just in case you were wondering)

Then he learns he's color blind, and his goal of becoming a military pilot is not achievable.

I only saw the movie once and it was a couple of years ago but I still remember how he freaks out and screams with just this complete anguish. And the family pulls the van over to the side of the road (see the picture I put together below.) Mom and Dad are mindful of their schedule and deadlines and try, unsuccessfully, to talk him back into the car. Then the 'Little Miss Sunshine', just lays her head on her brother's shoulder in a show of support.


(Iconic moment number one...Care about someone this way?)



No comments: