Wednesday, August 28, 2013

M: Moderation


In Biology 101 my teacher explained the metabolic principles involved in the Atkins diet, which was becoming popular at the time. She explained the diet involved in cutting carbohydrate intake, which affected how the body metabolizes calories and uses energy. She explained that the Atkins diet was effective in weight loss, however, it was ultimately bad for your health in the long term.

"Don't do the Atkins, it's not a good idea. I believe in all things in moderation." She concluded.

The sentiment surprised me, because the teacher was obese.

(If this observation offends you...you have every right to be offended. It was the observation of a 15 year old kid trying to make sense of the world around her. I apologize for my thoughts...which I have never before voiced...and ask that you hear me out as I try to explain something that's on my mind.)

It was evident to me that this teacher didn't really know what moderation was. Or, if she did, she ignored the principles of it...which is basically the same as ignorance. I thought,  "Well, obesity isn't good for your health, either."

So which was worse?

1) Excluding a whole food group to get your weight within a healthy range, or
2) eating in excess in the name of "Moderation"?

(Yes, I do realize that some people have metabolic, psychiatric, or other health-related disorders that contribute to an increased body weight and that it is unfair to assume that they are all "eating in excess". I believe those individuals should seek medical attention and that the rest of us should pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY...)



Lately, I've been thinking of another question:

WHY are those the ONLY two options?????

I think the reason is because they're the only two options people feel comfortable with. We are perfectly capable of cutting things out of our lives completely, just as we are capable of over-indulging ourselves in something that we find desirable. But there is no middle road. We have no concept of what healthy (moderate) behavior actually is.

So, here is a little run down on the term.

The word "Moderation" is an action word, it refers to a process of lessening extremes.

To act within a realm of behavior that is "Moderate" we must be able to define what "excess" is and what "deficit" is.

 Dictionary.com defines moderation as-"keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense"


Wikinary defines it as-"the process of eliminating or lessening extremes"


But my personal favorite definition for this word comes from Urban Dictionary- Moderation: A virtue that permits all vices

Some examples of what moderation is NOT:

  • An excuse to have another cookie/slice of bacon/soda because you had an apple this morning.
  • Sampling a wider array of unhealthy things at the buffet. 
  • Moderation is not a justification for stupid behavior because, "Oh, I haven't tried cannabis before."
  • Dismissing or cutting people out of a group conversation because they aren't interesting enough. (Or alternatively, keeping your mouth shut when you have something to say because "no one will listen to me anyways".)
It really bugs me how people use this word as an excuse to do stupid things just because they aren't able to control their own appetites for a particular behavior such as eating, gaming, communication, or drug/alcohol consumption.

I watched this video thinking the point was going to be that one type of excess is "better" then the other, but they make a good point towards the end of the video. 

A principle that is important in the practice of moderation is restraint, which is something that I believe Western Civilization (and humanity in general) knows very little about. Moderation means making little choices that seem inconsequential but ultimately have a huge impact our health/well-being, relationships, and even our personality. 

Another principle is awareness. In interpersonal discussion, I've noticed that many people really do have a knowledge deficit regarding healthy behavior, resulting partially from culture they grew up in. 

I've heard people say "It's their choice how they want to live their own lives" but I don't think it is really "their choice" if they don't know any better. 

Here's to knowing better, here's to doing better, here's to being better.

No comments: