Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thor: The Dark World (Movie Review with thematic spoilers)

I saw Thor: The Dark World yesterday with my little sisters. 

This review may contain spoilers, so be forewarned. 

It was very, very good. I'm not sure if I liked it more then the first Thor, but that's only because I really, REALLY liked the first Thor.

This sequel didn't try to be darker or more intense then the first (even though the stakes are higher), it was funny. All the things that I thought were endearing about the fist film are in this one too (So...if for example you were annoyed with the Odin-family drama or culture-clash aspect of the first film...I'm sorry but it's still there).

One thing this film did do, that the first didn't, was make me cry (but that might be because I'm a wuss).




Thor: 

One of the things I enjoyed most about the first movie was Thor's character development from a cocky warrior-prince to a hero. I felt they continued that character arc well in this movie.  I enjoyed what Thor says about the mentality of those who rule. That made his decision not to take the throne feel like a natural result of Thor gaining an understanding of his strengths and weaknesses, instead of a plot contrivance to keep him doing superhero stuff. He really has changed from the boisterous, heroic warrior eager to be king into a humble protector. 

Loki:

Loki has detoxed from whatever cosmic hallucinogen he was on in "The Avengers" and is back in his true form as mischief-maker. Odin is still the 'god of bad parenting'. Their scenes together crackle with angst and drama and are still a highlight of the film for me. Loki's explanation for his villainous actions in "The Avengers" was a bit surprising for me. It doesn't excuse what he did, but it did make him seem less crazy.

 Also it places at least part of the blame on a racist parent and the faulty expectations he was given as a child.

(Loki and Odin: Getting the Answers)
(I made this video after watching the first Thor film it's only a minute long, give it a watch:)

Jane:

 I hear a lot of hate going around for Jane's character: She's not actiony-enough, she's just a love-interest, she's too pretty, she's not pretty enough, she's too smart, she's dumb, she's too spunky and uptight, she's too laid-back, and (this one is my personal favorite) she's too much of a "regular" person compared to the otherwordly Thor and his cohorts

...in other words: "She's not good enough for him."

All this because a female character has more then one defining characteristic? Wowers! I applaud Marvel and Natalie Portman for the depiction of this character!

For myself, I am of the opinion that Jane (along with her own "Warrior's Three") could carry their own movie. And in the first half of this movie, that's pretty much what they do...(The second half, not so much ):


Supporting Characters:

 As a sequel, I was expecting this movie to explore more of the side characters like Lady Sif, The Warriorsx3, and Heimdall. And we do get to see them a bit, but actually it's probably less then we saw them in the first film. I did enjoy seeing Volstagg with his kids and the "asian asguardian" on his home planet. (We also do get to see Heimdall without his helmet on, which is every bit as rewarding as seeing Thor without his shirt on).

We did, however, get to see more Thor's parent's Odin and Frigga. It was cool to see how Frigga's cunning, fighting style, and use of magic was reminiscent of Loki.

I've always seen Odin and Thor as very much alike, and this film shows us some of the flaws in Odin that we saw in Thor throughout the first film. 

Shipping:
OTP: I've heard a lot of people complain about the "forced love triangle" between Thor, Jane and Sif. I didn't see it. Sif likes Thor, but she is first and foremost a friend and comrade. So no catfights here...It almost seems like Jane and Sif are grown women who can see Thor as more then a potential trophy husband and respect his decision to not go out with them because he does not love them romantically (Sif) or because he has to honor commitments as a Prince of Asgard (Jane).

Who would have thought?

Jane and Thor are a very different type of person physically, intellectually and culturally. But they seem to enjoy these differences about each other; their relationship is sweet, and sincere, and rewarding. Jane never gives up on Thor, and Thor never gives Jane up, despite the fallout he gets from his father and fellow Asguardians for doing so. So no, Thor did NOT choose the wrong woman.

BOTP: Loki and Thor

There is a movie-still that's circulating the internet that looks like this:

(Sadly, this exact frame did not make it into the finished film):

Loki is in a well furnished prison-apartment and goes all Wreck-it-Ralph on it. Before I saw the movie, I assumed the wreckage was done in a fit of psychotic rage, but in the film it actually played out a lot more interesting-ly.

It kind of mirrors a scene from the first Thor film:


Thor and Loki have suffered a devastating loss. Thor goes to visit Loki in prison and  arrives to find his brother sitting in his cell reading a book.

Loki is meticulously composed; he is well groomed and his furniture is in order.



 Thor instantly recognizes it as a farce and calls him out on it.


Loki unveils the illusion to show himself in a wrecked prison-apartment, disheveled (and apparently he has kicked something sharp without his shoes on).


Thor and Loki aren't a whole lot alike, but they have this fundamental understanding each other that is really intriguing to me.

It highlights something I love about the relationship between these two. No matter how much these two hate each other, they will always love each other. It can't be any other way when you know someone that well. 

Malekith: 

Before watching the movie, I read several reviews that the Villian's motivation wasn't explained very well. While I would love to have more screen time explaining what my extremely handsome Christopher Eccleston is doing trying to destroy my universe. I think they made it clear that he's not from this universe and that in his mind, he is displacing "the world tree" to restore his own realm/homeland. 


Other: 

After I watched the first film, my little sister and I went to the Library (because that's what we do for fun!) and read up on Norse mythology. What we found there was hilarious and insightful... and deserves it's own blog post so I won't go into detail here...except that I've enjoyed the nods the filmmakers add towards source material. Not just the comic-book source, but the original myths.


Etc...

Recognizing these kind of things gives me a good feeling. Like...



Concusion:

The ending before the credits felt like a cliff-hanger and I wondered if they were going to be making another movie (The credits do note: "Thor Will Return" but do not specify when) But after I got to discuss it a bit with my sisters I got the impression that a certain plot point was left in limbo because "This is the new normal" There is going to be mystery and mayhem in the life of Thor Odinson and Jane Foster.

If you understood this review: congratulations!

Thanks for sharing my thoughts, feel free to share your own. :D

No comments: