Sunday, May 5, 2013

What's Doctor Who?

It all started a little under two years ago now. When I re-started a Tumblr account and frequenting Pinterest....Then some people I've met in real life start whispering, "Doctor Who."

Me being the inquisitive person I am...

Made the dreaded mistake...

I asked the question...

THE QUESTION THAT MUST NEVER BE ANSWERED!!!! OR SILENCE WILL FALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Me: "What's Doctor Who?" 

Response from internet people: "OOOOOHHHHH GUUUURRRLLL U DONt kNOOWWW??" 

Me: "Well, yeah. I don't know. What is it?" 

Internet People: GUURRRRLLL!!!!!

Me: 

                                                     I shouldn't be here :(

^ This response was only slightly better then the response from humans in the wild. (Which is usually a blank stare, or they look away dismissively. Presumably because I don't worship at the Altar of the Fandom-God)

                                     You thought I was kidding, didn't you? Ha! I wish.

Now that I've watched most of the new series, I'd like to get the truth out there so curious people like me can get some straight answers without getting shunned by friends (or attacked by the fandom-mob).


  • Doctor Who is a television program. It fits firmly into the Science-Fiction/Drama category. 
  • It's made by British people and most of the actors are British  (its' actually a laugh to see how they think of other countries, particularly America, in some of the episodes)
  • It's a fun show. Along the lines of the old-school Star Trek and Twilight Zone. If you've watched LOST (I have) you won't have any problem understanding the time-travel aspect of the show.  Lots of adventure, mystery, intrigue. Some humor and silliness. 
  •  It's a fairly clean program. (Especially when compared to American programming counterparts) More on this below.
  •  It has its thought provoking moments. Like "Star Trek", "Twilight Zone" and "LOST" there is frequently and emotional solution to a complex scientific problem. Self-sacrifice is praised and hope a midst adversity is a big theme. 

A few other things you should know:

1) If you watch the show, and find it's not your style that's OK.

2) If you watch the show and don't like it when the writer/director/actors change, you don't have to continue watching the show. And you certainly don't have to go on Tumblr and complain about it how "horrible" it's gotten when it's really just a matter of your opinion. (Though I certainly won't stop you, I just feel it's a waste of your time.)

3) Doctor Who is a mostly family friendly program. But that doesn't stop mild swear words and violence from occurring. Also issues relating to various types of sexuality are frequently explored.

I'd recommend pre-viewing it before allowing children to watch. Even though there isn't a lot of explicit stuff, some of it is intense. If you wouldn't let your kid watch Twilight Zone, I wouldn't recommend letting them watch Doctor Who.

1 comment: